Location Assessment & Analysis: Everything You Need to Know
In today’s globalized world, our reach is extending across borders and into unchartered territories. With that said, there is a risk associated with unfamiliarity, especially when it comes to critical locations. Potential threats range from break-ins and thefts to risks of terrorism and sabotage. You will need to determine the likelihood and consequences of a security gap to help you prioritize the appropriate risk mitigation steps to take. But, you don’t have to do it alone. A location assessment is an excellent way to evaluate the security situation of a site prior to commitment.
At Crownox, we are committed to keeping you safe as you continue with your day-to-day operations. For more information on our location assessments, contact us today and a representative will get back to you shortly.
What is a Location Assessment?
A location assessment is a thorough walk-through of the security of a physical location during which weaknesses and vulnerabilities are examined, and security improvement recommendations are provided. It can be conducted for different types of facilities, including corporate, institutional, governmental, and residential, to name a few. The assessment differs across organizations and residences and it is usually tailored to your specific needs. The process takes into consideration the latest security practices, and allows you to identify vulnerabilities and weak points that might expose the site to threats, in addition to improving the organization’s ability to detect and avoid potential risks.
Why is it Important?
Numerous corporations spend a lot of money, time and effort into setting up physical security measures in their operational buildings. More often, these measures are implemented with inconsistency, creating security gaps and increasing security risks.
Therefore, conducting location assessment is highly advisable, whether you are looking to evaluate the current security measures implemented in your organization, or looking for a residence for one of your employees during relocation.
Protecting your employees and assets from any physical threat is a big responsibility. So is making sure they stay safe during operations and assignments. Our location assessment provides you with the information you need to make the right decision.
What is the Process?
Crownox’s location assessment process is comprised of two phases:
Phase one: an on-site visit by our security experts to the location to perform a thorough physical examination of the premises and the security measures implemented (if any).
Phase two: a comprehensive report which presents the detailed observations and evaluation of the site’s physical security measures and controls, highlights the positive factors, and provides recommendations for correcting vulnerabilities.
What’s Included in a Location Assessment:
The location should be assessed in relation to its accessibility, the surrounding area, proximity to medical facilities, availability of services, and crime rates of the area. The time and distances from key facilities should be noted and recorded.
Some Questions to Ask Include:
- Where exactly is the site located?
- How is it approached? How do you arrive it?
- How far away are important junctions and facilities?
- Is the area safe? What is the crime rate?
- How accessible is the building/facility?
A location assessment considers the full spectrum of threats (i.e., natural, criminal, terrorist, accidental, etc.) for the site, and helps you formulate plans to secure the safety of your personnel, facilities, or residence. It is catered to your particular needs and as such, there isn’t one standard set of criteria.
At Crownox, we look specifically into the following:
- Site location and coordinates
- Immediate locality; which mainly includes:
- Surrounding area (political and social environment)
- Neighbouring entities
- Medical facilities
- Available services
- Description of the premises (history, structure, facilities, entrances & exits, internal and external conditions).
- Review of current crime rates
- Positive factors of location
- Vulnerabilities of location
The Benefits of Conducting a Location Assessment:
The advantages of having a location assessment to help you determine the security situation of a facility or site are numerous and they include:
- Identifies vulnerabilities and weak points that might expose the site to threats.
- Offers an opportunity to improve the organization’s ability to detect and avoid potential risks.
- Provides a detailed comprehensive assessment of local political, criminal, economic and safety conditions that influence daily life for expatriates.
- Helps facilitate decision making through providing a comprehensive analysis combined with recommendations based on the examination and evaluation process.
From executive protection to due diligence, we have a variety of security and risk mitigation solutions for you. Visit our website or check out our company profile to learn more about Crownox’s operations.